Wednesday, December 02, 2009

I've been hiding in the background......

....wondering what I could possibly blog about that would make a difference in the grand scheme of things. We all have a lot to think about. Today I'll share a few random thoughts that range from the ridiculous to the sublime.

Politics & Politicians: I grew up listening to my grandparents argue and discuss politics and politicians. Maybe their mostly negative views influenced mine, because I find myself thinking more and more like they did 50 or 60 years ago: Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. So see? Nothing changes but the date and our age where politics are concerned.

Afghanistan & Iraq: I read a newspaper op ed that said Russia bankrupted itself fighting in Afghanistan. Well hey, the US had already been bankrupted by Wall Street, big business moving overseas, and fiscal mismanagement at every level, so guess we're good to go. I believe in our military forces and hold citizen soldiers in the highest esteem, but I don't believe in spending money on wars when schools and infrastructure are in such sad shape, and taxpayers are losing their jobs and homes.

Fame vs. Reality: Michael Jackson died and even our politicians acknowledged his passing with a moment of silence while in session. Where were the moments of silence for the soldiers and marines lost in Iraq and Afghanistan? Tiger Woods wrecked his car and refused to talk to the police, was fined $164. A young man I know did a slow-tap-on-pedal at a stop sign and had to do many hours of community service and pay a huge fine. Politicians that don't pay their taxes for years get no kind of punishment whatsoever. If Joe Public doesn't pay HIS taxes, the wrath of the IRS comes down on him with a vengeance. Can you see a pattern here?

Health Care: I've said all I have to say about health care in a previous blog. Pres. Obama has pushed the possibility of a health care plan farther than any other president, but my opinion has not changed. The House and Senate have over-complicated the issue with thousands of pages of rules and regs, none of which will control the real problems. As long as insurance companies and lawyers provide huge support and perks to politicians, we won't have a plan that really helps the American people.

So that was the ridiculous and discouraging. For the sublime, here are some links you might enjoy:
http://www.squidoo.com/hollenbergstation
http://www.squidoo.com/sandhillscranes
http://www.squidoo.com/kentuckymountains

3 comments:

Jaime Kubik said...

I need to give my dad your website! He would LOVE your thoughts as do I. Conservative America is disappearing as are most of the beliefs this country was based on. I agree completely with you. I may be young, but it irriates me when my friends get more consumed in the entertainment issues and not ones that can truly impact our lives. I realize M. Jackson was talented, but how does that affect our government?? I was seriously irriated at the news coverage his death got when there are bigger issues at hand. Thank you for your words. Thank you also for stopping by my blog! It was great to see your name in my comment section! Have a great week!

T. M. Hunter said...

Always good to see you writing it all out there for folks to see. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you back!

Do your part to stop hunger everywhere

The Hunger Site

hit counter

About Me

My photo
I enjoy good writing by writers and poets who are not famous. My mother said I was born a hundred years too late. The older I get, the more I realize how right she was.

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter